Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Well Begun Is Half Done

Beginnings: sometimes even harder than endings. Starting something new is exciting, scary, mysterious, and perhaps daunting. It's like the wild card in Uno: suddenly you have the power to change everything and all eyes are on you. Sometimes with such a blank slate, it makes one pause, but once the chalk has touched the board, there's no telling what wonderful pictures, equations or narratives could now inhabit the once empty space.

So here I put my best foot forward and begin two distinct journeys. I have a two month's head start down the path of my journey in China, exploring what life is like on the other side of the world, far from my native home in the heartland. My other journey, the process of documenting and sharing both my experiences in the East and my observations of life in general, is only just starting. When I think about it, this may be the more intimidating journey of the two, but I also may be a bit more excited about it as well.

Writing is something I enjoy, but I have neglected it far too much since I left the structure of undergrad. The act of writing is healing for me and working on serious pieces is some of the most rewarding work I have encountered. So I'm gonna try out this blogging thing all the kids are talking about and see if I can't get some people reading my attempts at memoir/essay writing. At the very least I'll be able to keep my near and dear much more updated about the China portion than I have thus far. And I promise, there will be pictures involved, as that is a second love of yours truly.

So, chalk in hand I begin Fluxtaposition, my blog on all things changing, challenging, bizarre and comedic. I do hope you enjoy.

There, half done!


2 comments: